About 10:30 last night, Annabelle laid on the couch with Aspen and they dozed off. 15 minutes or so later, Daddy decided it was time to start heading to bed so he took Aspen out to do her business before bedtime. And that's when I heard him distressed, walking in the house with our sweet pup in his arms. She was lifeless. One cry for help...and boy did we ever try to help her.
He said she stretched on the front patio before walking to the grass and collapsing. She got up once, stretched again and collapsed once more. He picked her up, stiff body and all. They came running in the house. Our sweet baby pup lifeless...that one little cry.. us trying our best to do our version of puppy cpr..failing. In seconds, she was gone.
It was a very sad night. Today is equally as sad. We have no idea what happened to Aspen. She got a good, clean bill of health at the vet last week. She was playful, happy and very well loved. She got so much attention. We all had our own dreams and visions of how the future would be with her. :( Shattered in an instant. Shattered and we do not know why.
I called the emergency vet, but there just was nothing they could have done it was just too quick. We could have taken her for a puppy autopsy, but the vet said from the sounds of it it was likely cardiac and we just could not have known this would have happened.
It has been hard to handle. I think as a mother the worst part is the heartbreak my children feel. Annabelle had awoken when Daddy came into the house so she was with us and witnessed what happened in the few seconds it took place. While Daddy was digging the puppy grave, Annabelle picked her baby girl up and begged her to come back alive. Whispering, I know if Jesus can come back alive He has enough power to help my puppy. I wanted for that to be so true. I wished that He could have brought Aspen back and erased the pain from all of our hearts. I held Annabelle and we cried a good long while.
We didn't sleep much last night. And I dreaded the morning coming, when we would have to break the news to Peanut. And as we suspected, Aspen was the first thing he asked for when he got out of bed. My heart aches for the pain he felt. His little 5 year old self burst into tears, burying his face in my chest as I held and rocked him and we had a good cry. Daddy showed him where Aspen laid to rest and where she would always be. He can't pet her but he can remember her because she will be there for him to visit.
A lot of love was shared with Sweet Aspen in the 11 short days we had her. A lot of tears will be shed the next few days..but we can rest knowing she didn't suffer long and we did try to help her. We loved her, cared for her and gave her a happy home for her short little life.
Aspen
3/8/11 - 5/22/11



11 comments:
Oh, gosh! My heart is breaking for y'all. I know how hard it is to lose a furbaby after having him/her for years, and I know how quickly you get attached. We had a dog pass away after just having him for a few weeks...it was the first dog we had together as a couple.
I know y'all don't feel like getting one now, but don't wait too long to get another dog.
I'm so sorry. :( :(
I agree with Mary, get another pup sometime soon. It does help with the pain.
I am so sorry for your loss. I am sending positive thoughts to your whole family for emotional healing.
I am so sorry. Please know that I care. I can't believe what I just read. This is so sad and my heart is heavy with your sorrow. ((HUGS))
I am so sorry for your loss! I know the pain of losing a pet. Thankfully, for our sakes, we still had two other dogs to help ease the pain a little. Prayers are with your family.
So sorry for your loss!
Awww....I am so sorry that this has happened to your sweet family! I teared up just reading about it :-( You and your family are in my prayers....loosing a furry family member is never easy :-(
I'm so, so sorry.
I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your sweet puppy. They become members of the familiy so quickly - it doesn't matter if you've had them 11 days or 11 years. Praying for peace and joy (again) for all of you..
How very hard...so sorry for your loss on your puppy. We lost a dog but it was due to old age so we knew it was coming...can't imagine it like this though. ((hugs)) to you and the fam
Post a Comment